Main character final look test shots.

Okay this is going to be quite a long post about me studying pbr texturing and doing final test looks of the characters trying out some different shaders, it took a lot of time and it could easily be separated in several posts, but I’m just going to rant on about it.

So I was okay with skin being textured in Zbrush it provided quite a  decent result, but texturing clothes in Zbrush proved to be a nightmare, especially metallic and leather materials. This is my first test shots of my main character:

Babko7.jpgBabko8_TESTSHOTS_004.jpg

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_002.jpg

As you could notice there were many problems with textures, details of the skin looked good, but I had also problems with the mesh of mouth (it was too thin) so I was constantly making changes trying to study different techniques.

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_007.jpg

Here, I gave my test look scene a background to get the mood right. But I was not happy with texture colours and I started tweaking the texture manually in Photoshop, applying different textures and etc.

Granny_BODY_BELT2Granny_BODY_BELT1-TM_u0_v0.jpg

These are the texture files that I literally drew on top of the existing ones in Photoshop.

These procedures, that took a couple of days of tedious work would give me this result:

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_012.jpgBabko8_TESTSHOTS_013.jpg

Still better that the last one, but it lacked certain OOMPH and swag to it.

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_014.jpg

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_017.jpg

I started adding some mood lighting to make textures work.  But I was still not delighted with the results.

Then I would consult with Sean and I thought that maybe using displacement maps will increase the quality of my work. Sean showed me how to use Mental_rays mia_x_passes materials and apply displacement materials and the skin of my character would look way more detailed:

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_022.jpg

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_023.jpg

I was still not delighted with how she looks like, her leather jacket did not stand out and the iron shoulder pad did not look like it was made out of metal. I was also experimenting with her hair, trying to give her polygonal hair patches maybe, but all in vain, I did not like how it would turn up.

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_025.jpg

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_026.jpg

Then I was studying how Mental ray materials are working and which shading options should I use, I would create different spheres with different settings to render how it would show up in the scene.

Then I decided to retexture all my character again!

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_029.jpg

I started with the leather belt and a shoulder pad. I have retextured those in Substance painter, exported 4 different texture maps and used MILA shading materials. It took me a while to understand how MILA shading material works, I would constantly get certain anomalies upon rendering objects like this unusual glossiness on the right side of the leather belt that you can observe.

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_031.jpg

This is how re-textured leather jacked would look like in Substance painter.

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_032.jpg

This is how it would look like in Maya upon rendering, and it took me two days to correct the issue of that excessive glossiness, dear god, I lost a lot of brain cells trying to fix that problem.

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_033.jpg

OMG, WHAT IS THIS?

Babko8_TESTSHOTS_034.jpg

Better, but the jacket and boots are way too glossy and have that strange white shade.

TESTLOOK_GRANNY_0010.jpg

Way better…

I think weeks of studying pbr texturing payed off. Now I know how to do it fast and easy. I made a little short video of my character in the end:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s